Skip to content


Despite dominating for long periods, Leighton Buzzard lost their latest league
match, away at Old Laurentians. Rarely can a side have lost a match after
constructing so many of the game’s opportunities – but they scored only one
try from 15-20 good openings, whilst their hosts scored two from 3 or 4
chances. Even after Old Laurentians took the lead with five minutes left,
Buzzards had two gilt-edge chances but a 5-metre lineout throw went awry
and then a needless penalty was conceded when recycling the ball right in
front of the posts.

Old Laurentian kicked off in dry and sunny conditions. Almost immediately
Buzzards were on the attack playing with good tempo with the scrum looking
solid. Leighton almost scored after nine minutes when James Brett took a
quick tap penalty but the try-scoring pass went to ground. More attacks
followed, with debutant winger, James Pleass, showing good pace. Shortly
afterwards, Jack Whitehouse was through but again the try-scoring pass was

It was twenty-five minutes before the Buzzard line was under pressure.
Securing the ball, Buzzards cleared only for the Old Laurentians right winger
to run from halfway before being tackled just short. Despite this period of
pressure, Buzzard dominance was restored with a couple of breaks by Tom
Winch, which could easily have led to tries. Finally after thirty-three minutes,
Mike Robert scored and James Brett converted to give Leighton a 7-0 half-
time lead.
Early in the second half both sides missed penalties. Shortly afterwards, Mike
Robert came close to his second try but when stopped short, the recycled ball
was knocked on. Whilst Buzzards were less dominant than in the first half,
they remained the more creative team. However, halfway through the half.,
Old Laurentians scored from a scrum as Buzzards, inexplicably lost their own
put-in. With the conversion attempt hitting the post, Leighton led 7-5.

Buzzards continued to make breaks with Olie Taylor, Edie Wiggins and Tom
Winch all prominent but consistently opportunities were lost by knock-ons or
dropped passes despite the conditions being excellent for running rugby. The
penalty count was also beginning to hurt Buzzards – and from one of these
penalties, the home team kicked to the corner. Winning the line-out Old
Laurentians managed to drive over and with the conversion, took a 12-7 lead.
With five minutes left, Leighton had further opportunities to win the game, but
as throughout the afternoon these were spurned, leaving Old Laurentians 12-
7 victors.

Perhaps a disappointed Buzzard team should reflect that they did
create many opportunities which on another day, with more confidence and
accuracy, will lead to a victory.

Next week, Leighton welcome league-leaders,
Old Northamptonians to Wrights Meadow, 2.15pm Kick off.