Skip to content

Leighton Buzzard 2nd XV 51 v 43 Olney 3rd XV

Leighton Buzzard 2nd XV 51 v 43 Olney 3rd XV

Buzzard’s 2nd XV conspired very hard to lose this game but eventually managed to beat a very good Olney 3rd XV 43-51 in this away fixture. The two sides between them managed 16 tries and 7 conversions, a liberal splattering of yellow cards and periods of dominance.

In the early minutes of the game Buzzards were dominant but Olney fought back and opened the scoring with a converted try, and this was the only time that they had the lead. Buzzards soon replied with some well-worked moves in the backs releasing George Vincent to score close to the posts, Sam Beaumont then cut through the Olney defence to score with Ollie Hagger converting, from a quick tap penalty scrum half Leigh Draper scored under the posts with Hagger converting. An almost identical backline move saw Sam Beaumont score another try giving Buzzards the lead 7 – 24. At this point, Buzzards switched to standby, and Olney scored a try. Buzzards still in standby to off mode Olney scored their third try of the day as halftime approached. At halftime, the score was 17 – 24 in Buzzard’s favour.

The second half started well for Buzzards, with Ryan Peacock scoring a try close to the posts and Ollie Hagger converting.  Four minutes later Joe Baker scored Buzzard’s sixth try of the afternoon bringing the score to 17 – 36 just five minutes into the second half. Buzzard’s appeared to have the game under control but Olney had other ideas and promptly scored an unconverted try.

Rising to the challenge Buzzard’s were back on Olney’s try with Rhys Betley heading for a certain try until double tackled just short of the line, Betley left the field. Buzzard kept up the pressure and this resulted in Olney receiving two yellow cards in quick succession for incorrectly refereeing the game! Alan Harbour scored Buzzard’s 7th try of the day, further interesting refereeing from the touchline saw Olney’s touch judge receiving a yellow card! Olney now depleted should have seen Buzzard’s romp home and that’s how it seemed when Terry Wessels scored but Olney thought otherwise and rattled off a converted try and two more to bring the score to 43 – 46. Joe Baker finished off the second half with his second try of the day to bring the final score to 43 – 51.

Buzzards can consider themselves lucky to have won this fixture with the lapses in concentration and a determined opposition could easily have seen this score reversed.

Next week Buzzard’s 2nd XV travel to Wellingborough to play their 3rd merit table fixture of the season.