Skip to content


Leighton Buzzard finally put together a fine eighty-minute performance, that their
improved recent form has promised. After a tight start, Buzzards dominated the
game to beat Newbold on Avon conclusively and secure a four-try bonus point.
Having lost the toss, Buzzards kicked off with the benefit of the slope but directly into
a very strong wind. The strength of the wind allowed the visitors to dominate territory
in the early stages, with Buzzards knowing that any loss of possession would result
in the ball being kicked deep in to their territory.

Newbold took a three-point lead with a penalty after seven minutes and in the next
few minutes both sides missed long penalty attempts. With the strong wind, much of
the play was in the Buzzard half, but Leighton defended resolutely and increasingly
kept possession.

The pattern of the game changed after thirty-five minutes. Buzzards won lineout on
the visitors ten-metre line and then drove the resulting maul fully forty metres over
the line. Whilst it was very much a “forwards” try, it was winger Jacob Dove who
touched down. With the touchline conversion missed, Leighton led 5-3. Whether the
immense drive for the try caused psychological damage to the visiting pack is
unknown, but certainly there was sudden confidence in the home side as Buzzards
scored again two minutes later. This time it was Jack Barchard who touched down,
driven over by fellow front row forward, Joe Healy, leaving Leighton 10-3 ahead at

If the visitors hoped that that half time would break the momentum, they were quickly
disappointed as captain, Owen Forsythe crashed over for Leighton’s third try two
minutes into the half. James Brett converted and, shortly afterwards, added a further
penalty to put the home side in control at 20-3.

A break by the visitor’s speedy full back mid-way through the half showed there was
still danger but Buzzards stuck to their game management plan. A yellow card was
shown to the visitors with fifteen minutes to go, allowing Buzzard more control as
Newbold visibly tired. With ten minutes remaining, Jacob Dove scored his second try,
giving Buzzards a bonus point. James Brett converted from the touchline to stretch
the lead to 27-3.

Callum Creber thought he had scored late in the game but was called back for a
forward pass. But there was time for seventeen year-old, Liam Beer, making a very
promising debut as a replacement, to add a final try, much to the delight of the home
crowd. Again, Brett converted to leave the final score 34-3.

Leighton Buzzard’s next league game is away at Northampton Old Scouts on Friday
with a 7.30pm kick off.