Skip to content


A strong Buzzard second team, with an age range of over 40 years between the
youngest and oldest, overwhelmed Stockwood Park with a dominant first half

Stockwood Park kicked off with the slight benefit of a cross-wind. Leighton started
with fourteen men as Jack Barchard was missing, apparently unable to find his
playing shirt, although other potential reasons for his absence were touted amongst
the travelling support.

With the help of early penalties from Buzzard indiscipline, the home side dominated
possession and territory for the first five minutes. This pressure was finally broken by
an interception by Ryan Eaton close to his line. Eaton ran fully 50 metres before
passing to 17-year-old Tom Maynard who scored under the posts. In quick
succession Jack Barchard and Ben Cullen scored individual tries from inside their
own half. Tom Maynard converted all 3 tries to give Buzzards a 21-0 lead after only
ten minutes.

Despite the score, much of the play was in the Buzzard half with the tries being
mostly long range efforts. Leighton second row, Ryan Peacock, was shown a yellow
card after 14 minutes, but this appeared to make little difference as Leighton added
two tries during the ten minutes whilst down to fourteen men. Firstly, Tom Maynard
added to his personal tally with another fine try and then, having made a decisive
break, generously passed to supporting Will Batchelor to run in from 20 metres. Late
in the half, Lewis Morgan scored in the corner – with 5 of the six tries converted by
Maynard, Buzzards led 40-0 at half time.

Leighton made several changes at half-time with veterans Steve “Ace” McDade
playing fly-half and Nigel Beaumont in the pack. The second half started well with a
good passing movement and kick ahead being touched down by Ollie Taylor. Shortly
afterwards a lovely delayed pass by Ace McDade put Sam Beaumont into space to
score under the posts. Ben Cullen converted the second of these tries to put
Buzzards 52-0 ahead.

Despite the score Stockwood remained competitive and had both territory and
possession without showing the speed and cutting edge that Leighton had
consistently displayed. Stockwood did manage a period of pressure and crossed the
Buzzard line to score, 15 minutes into the half. With a successful conversion
Leighton now led 52-7.

The rest of the match was competitive and played mostly in midfield but neither side
managed to add to their score.